The new "Next NC Scholarship" is a financial aid program that helps most North Carolinians from households making $80,000 or less pursue higher education by fully covering tuition and fees at any community college in the state. The assistance is not a loan, so students will not have to pay the money back.
The Next NC Scholarship combines the federal Pell Grant with the state-funded financial aid program to form a simplified and predictable scholarship award that is easier to understand and makes education more affordable so a greater number of North Carolina students can pursue a degree or shorter-term credential.
Qualifying students attending Central Piedmont or any other N.C. community college will receive at least $3,000. That means having their tuition and fees 100 percent covered. Students can also use the scholarship award to pay for books, food, and housing.
To apply for a Next NC Scholarship, students simply need to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. If students are eligible, they will receive the Next NC Scholarship with no additional forms to fill out. The Next NC Scholarship priority filing date is Aug. 15, 2024, for N.C. community colleges.
To receive the Next NC Scholarship, students must be:
- A North Carolina resident who is eligible for in-state tuition
- A high school graduate (high school equivalency completers are eligible)
- From a household with an annual adjusted gross income (AGI) of $80,000 or less
- Enrolled in an eligible community college curriculum program for the 2024-2025 academic year
- Taking at least six credit hours per semester (part-time students will receive a partial award)
- Meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards of the school, the student attends
- A student who has completed the 2024- 2025 FAFSA, with a resulting Student Aid Index (SAI) at or below 7,500 (once complete, Central Piedmont's financial aid office will determine and confirm eligibility.)
For more information about the Next NC Scholarship Program and other financial aid opportunities at Central Piedmont Community College, visit the Grants page or contact a financial aid counselor via email.